04.03.2020 – 11:07
QS Rankings: TUM among top 50 universities in 11 subjects
TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF MUNICH
Corporate Communications Center
This text on the web: https://www.tum.de/nc/en/about-tum/news/press-releases/details/35935/
TUM among top 50 universities in 11 subjects
New issue of “QS World University Rankings by Subject”
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) ranks among the world's best 50 universities in 11 subjects and in five subjects is among the top 25. These are some of the results of the latest "QS World University Rankings by Subject".
To compile its rankings, the British recruitment firm QS surveys companies and researchers on the quality of universities. It also analyzes the number of citations of scientific papers as a measure of their importance. The indicators are assigned weightings based on the culture of the various subject areas.
In the latest edition, TUM moved up in some fields and achieved the following rankings:
• Physics & Astronomy: 17 (in Germany: 1)
• Electrical Engineering: 20 (in Germany: 1)
• Agriculture & Forestry: 23 (in Germany: 3)
• Chemistry: 23 (in Germany: 1)
• Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering: 25 (in Germany: 2)
• Architecture: 26 (in Germany: 2)
• Materials Science: 31 (in Germany: 2)
• Computer Science & Information Systems: 36 (in Germany: 1)
• Chemical Engineering: 45 (in Germany: 3)
• Civil and Structural Engineering: 47 (in Germany: 1)
• Biological Sciences: 48 (in Germany: 3)
If the survey asks for the broad subject area of engineering, TUM ranks 24th worldwide, in natural sciences 43rd. The issue of the “QS World University Rankings”, which shows overall ratings for universities and also takes other indicators into account, was already released in mid-2019. TUM holds the number 55 position, which makes it the top-ranked German university for the fifth consecutive year.
TUM also regularly achieves excellent results in other international university rankings. For example, TUM ranks number six worldwide in the “Global University Employability Ranking”, in which companies rate the quality of graduates, and holds the number seven position among “Europe’s Most Innovative Universities”.
• QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020: https://www.topuniversities.com/subject-rankings/2020
• TUM in rankings: https://www.tum.de/en/about-tum/our-university/rankings/
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) is one of Europe’s leading research universities, with around 600 professors, 43,000 students, and 10,000 academic and non-academic staff. Its focus areas are the engineering sciences, natural sciences, life sciences and medicine, combined with economic and social sciences. TUM acts as an entrepreneurial university that promotes talents and creates value for society. In that it profits from having strong partners in science and industry. It is represented worldwide with the TUM Asia campus in Singapore as well as offices in Beijing, Brussels, Cairo, Mumbai, San Francisco, and São Paulo. Nobel Prize winners and inventors such as Rudolf Diesel, Carl von Linde, and Rudolf Mößbauer have done research at TUM. In 2006, 2012, and 2019 it won recognition as a German "Excellence University." In international rankings, TUM regularly places among the best universities in Germany.